Sunday, September 13, 2009

9-13-9 Bike And Hike

I should have been spending today with a birthday girl but after 228 thousand miles it was time to get ball joints on vehicle replaced. Packed bike into van mapped out day trip. Heading down surface streets I found Metacomet Trail, This should cut through woods and dump me out on final street of destination. Bike and hike lives again.


I should have found road by this point but plenty of time on hands today.

Heading toward the ridge finally broke out onto it. Came out above Target store in Meriden CT. nice place to spend the day.


Before cutting through trail to my left on Chamberlan hwy, cars were on the right shoulder and could see ropes hanging from mountain walls. From up here you can see those climbers.

Off in distance is Castle Craig where this planned trip was to end.
Viewing castle from 691 at highway speeds I never noticed the break in ridge line that housed reservoir. Still plenty of time to try and find road that got me on this short cut through the woods.

Some walking and some quick downhill biking dumped me out into someones driveway. Really glad it didn't dump me on next driveway with the two big rottweilers. From driveway castle was not far but straight uphill.


http://maps.google.com/maps?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=castle+craig+meriden+ct&um=1&ie=UTF-8&split=0&gl=us&ei=G9CuSuP6KuWJ8QbA4NHHCA&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1


Nice views up here, next trip will be in vehicle.

1 comment:

Tony said...

Viva La Hike Ride..!